Tobacco’s negative consequences are well established. It is derived from the leaves of the Nicotiana tabacum plant and is commonly smoked in the form of cigarettes, bidis, and cigars, although it is also ingested as a smokeless product. Chewable tobacco comes in a number of forms, including gutka, flavoured tobacco kharra, and pan masala, and is often placed between the cheeks and teeth. Tobacco, in any form, contains nicotine, a highly addictive chemical that leads to tobacco addiction. The harmful tobacco effects on teeth and oral health are not uncommon and have been linked directly to cancer.
Table of Contents :-
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- How Does Tobacco Affect Oral Health?
- Can Chewing Tobacco Cause Mouth Cancer?
- How can I quit Tobacco?
- When to See a Dentist
- Dentist in Gurgaon
1. How Does Tobacco Affect Teeth?
Tobacco consumption not only harms the body as a whole and raises your risk of cancer, but it is also highly detrimental to your oral health. Tobacco is very harmful to the teeth, whether smoked or chewed. The following are some of the harmful tobacco effects on teeth and oral health:
- Tobacco causes discolouration of the teeth, giving them a yellowish look. Tobacco stains on teeth are typically permanent and can give the impression of a filthy mouth despite brushing many times.
- Tobacco usage causes enamel to deteriorate. Enamel is the strongest white material found on teeth that are heavily damaged and decayed due to tobacco. This causes greater sensitivity because the nerves might become exposed when the enamel deteriorates.
- Because tobacco is continually inserted between the teeth and gums, it is possible that some tobacco particles might get trapped in the gums. This causes tooth deterioration.
- Chewing or smoking tobacco also leads to the formation of plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth, which leads to bacterial development in the teeth. Tobacco users are predisposed to dental decay and cavities in their mouths.
- Tobacco use causes noticeable foul breath, which may be quite humiliating in social circumstances.
- It has a negative impact on gum health because it irritates the gum tissue, resulting in loosening of teeth and further damage. Smokers and tobacco chewers generally suffer from receding gums.
- People who consume tobacco may frequently have ulcers and sores in their mouths. This is one of the most harmful effects of tobacco on the teeth as it can lead to oral cancer.
- People who smoke and consume tobacco are more likely to suffer from Bruxism or tooth grinding. This causes headaches and teeth deterioration.
2. Can Chewing Tobacco Cause Mouth Cancer?
According to the World Health Organization, tobacco is a major risk factor for cancer. It contains various toxins, including carcinogens, which are cancer-causing compounds.
Nicotine is the most important component of tobacco. When tobacco is held between the cheek and the teeth, nicotine is slowly absorbed from the mouth’s thin lining. Nicotine is highly addictive because it enters the bloodstream immediately from the lining of the cheeks and travels to the brain making it addictive. These are certain harmful compounds that have been found in tobacco:
- Polonium 210
- Carbon Monoxide
Chewing tobacco not only raises the incidence of oral cancer, but also lip, tongue, cheek, and pancreatic cancer. In people with a history of tobacco use, cancer usually starts in the location where the tobacco was kept most frequently in the mouth. Cancer manifests as a persistent white spot in the mouth, known as leukoplakia, or as red patches or bumps, known as erythroplakia.
3. How Can I Quit Tobacco?
Quitting tobacco as soon as possible is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your health. Nicotine from tobacco can be extremely addictive, but with consistent efforts, you can quit tobacco and overcome your addiction. The advantages of quitting tobacco may be apparent as soon as you stop using it.
- There is a reduced chance of getting oral and other cancers.
- A healthy mouth in general
- It also lowers the likelihood of erectile dysfunction.
- Quitting smoking increases your stamina and makes you feel more energetic.
- The body’s blood circulation improves.
We understand that quitting tobacco can be difficult, and that nicotine addiction can cause severe withdrawal symptoms, but you should remember why you started in the first place.
- Reading about the advantages of smoking might inspire you to stop. Recognize that you are doing it for yourself and that it will lower your chances of getting cancer.
- As soon as you feel the temptation to chew tobacco, engage in a new hobby or profession.
- Nicotine replacement therapy can be a helpful alternative.
Getting guidance from a skilled dentist might aid you in your path to quit tobacco. The best dentists in Gurgaon are available at SmileXpetz to assist you in your journey to living a tobacco-free life.
When to See a Dentist?
Chewing tobacco is bound to have a negative impact on your oral health, therefore there are several warning signals to check for and visit a dentist about. The professionals at Smile Experts, advise you to contact a dentist as soon as you notice any symptoms.
- When you experience persistent mouth discomfort
- If you have trouble swallowing
- If you see any loose teeth or receding gums
- If you see any white sores on your lips or mouth. Although ulcers and sores are frequent conditions, if you have a sore that has been bothering you for a long time and does not heal, it is an indication that you should see your dentist. A persistent ulcer or sore might be an indication of mouth cancer.
5. Dentist in Gurgaon:-
With a variety of clinics and information available, we realise that it might be difficult to locate a clinic that can give you the appropriate treatment. Smile experts dental clinic, one of the best dental clinics in Gurgaon, has a team of highly trained dentists who can analyse your case and prevent you from any potential risk and complications that may emerge as a result of tobacco use.
When you decide to stop, it is a good idea to consult with your dentist, who can help you with your dental health and offer you medications and treatments to help you overcome your nicotine and tobacco cravings. Following up with your dentist regularly can also help you discover any possible indications of oral cancer early on and help you live a normal tobacco-free life.
There are several treatments available at Smile Expertz to restore oral health like:
- Professional Teeth whitening treatments to get rid of yellow and discoloured teeth.
- Deep cleaning is done to remove excess plaque and tartar on teeth.
- Desensitizers are especially applied on teeth which have increased hypersensitivity because of chewing tobacco. This can help reduce the increased sensitivity to a great instance.
- The use of teeth laminates(veneers) over the top of deteriorated teeth to give you a beautiful smile.
- Treatment for receding gums and gum diseases
- The use of night dental guards help people suffering from the issue of teeth grinding.
The cost of the treatments is determined by the extent of your tobacco-related damage. Root canal treatments for cavities, as well as cosmetic treatments such as teeth cleaning and whitening, are examples of common, inexpensive treatments.
Even during the COVID-19 epidemic, SmileXpertz dental clinic is equipped with cutting-edge and advanced dental equipment to provide you with high-quality, pain-free dental services. The clinic employs the best dentists in Gurgaon who are professionals in the field of dental treatment and are up to date on all the latest technology to treat you.