Dental implants are a perfect way to restore your smile. Dental implants are strong fixed metallic fixtures that are surgically fitted in the jaw bone. These fixtures replace the root of a natural missing tooth as they eventually fuse with the surrounding tissues and bone structures. The procedure of fixing a dental Implant normally takes around 1-2 hours and the final restoration is accomplished in approximately 3 months. For long-term successful implantation, it is very important to keep the implants and their surrounding area healthy, clean, and free from bacteria. You should not treat them as ‘Fit and Forget’. Oral Health Foundation says” How well you look after your implants and whether you go for regular appointments will depend on how long they will last”
Table of Contents:-
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- Why is it important to keep Dental Implants Clean?
- How to Clean Dental Implants?
- Tips To Keep Dental Implants Clean and Hygienic?
- When to See a Dentist?
- Dental Implant Clinic in Gurgaon.
Why is it important to keep Dental Implants Clean?
Caring and cleaning for dental implants are the keys to prolonging their functionality and appearance and minimizing complications. It is essential to keep the implants and their surrounding tissues clean as it gives enough support and strength to the teeth as well as the implant. If you fail to do so, a biofilm called plaque harboring bacteria collects around the implant crowns which release toxins leading to an inflammatory condition known as ‘Peri-Implantitis’ which affects the tissues around the implants. If we don’t address this timely, it may lead to soreness, bleeding, discomfort, and slow bone loss. Early detection and regular maintenance can keep the complications and unhygienic conditions away.
How to Clean Dental Implants?
Regular cleaning and maintenance of implants are essential, while it is also important to take care that regular cleaning does not harm the crown as well as the implant. Careful selection of cleaning tools that the smooth polished crown is necessary. To keep the implant clean, your daily routine must include cleaning the area around the implant, brushing the implant’s reachable surfaces with a manual or an electric toothbrush with or without toothpaste. In between the teeth where your conventional toothbrush is difficult to reach, you can use dental floss, implant-specific floss, interdental brushes, and oral irrigator devices.
Follow your dentist’s advice and instructions on using these devices.
How to clean Single Implants:-
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush– To prevent damage to gums.
- Brush twice a day
- Use low abrasive Toothpaste- To prevent loss of shine and glaze from porcelain implants.
- Use a water Flosser– Pressurized water stream will loosen and flush away debris and plaque.
- Always brush under and around the dental implant Crown– An angled-neck toothbrush or interdental brush with a slim head can be used to clean under and around the implant crown.
- Crown and bridge floss must be used after brushing, having two stiff nylon ends and fussy middle, it gently cleans the implant surface and the porcelain touching the gum line. It also enables the fluoride to be distributed around the implant, preventing bacterial growth.
How to clean All-on-4- Implants:-
For a clean All-on-4-implants, you will need to follow the above-mentioned cleaning tips along with a couple of tips mentioned below.
- Use a Rubber-Tip Stimulator- To gently remove food particles entrapped between the bridge and gum line. Use this with a Water Flosser at least once a day.
- Use a sulcus Brush– It is around one-third the width of a regular toothbrush and effectively cleans that part of the bridge that transitions to the soft tissue.
How to clean overdentures
- Brush over Dentures daily –Use a brush with flat and tapered bristles to reach areas underside of your overdenture.
- Soak Dentures overnight- In a cleaning solution to keep them clean and retain their shape.
- Inspect your overdentures regularly– O-rings clips and locator caps must be in place and in good condition.
- Replace O-Rings and locator Caps annually– To maintain efficacy and life span and prevent complications.
Tips to Keep Dental Implants Clean and Hygienic:-
- Use a Soft-Bristled ToothBrush- To prevent hurting gums and bleeding and it is as effective in removing plaque and debris as medium or hard bristles. You can use manual or electric brushes.
- Use a Water Flosser-Also called oral irrigators, they produce a strong stream of water which disrupts and kills bacteria up to 4-6mm deep and in tight spaces. They also prevent harm to the implants by dental floss particles.
- Brush Twice a Day- Brushing in the morning and at night before bedtime helps to get rid of germs and bacteria built overnight and those accumulated throughout the day thus maintaining oral implant hygiene.
- Rinsing of mouth after each meal- After implantation, the food particles and bacteria can penetrate in areas where toothbrushes cannot reach, thus frequent rinsing of the mouth with water or anti-bacterial mouthwash will help remove debris and bacteria, keeping them clean.
- Avoid Smoking and consuming alcohol- Smoking can lead to inflammation at the implant site and favors the formation of tartar. Alcohol slows down healing and must be avoided for at least up to 6 months until complete healing has taken place.
- Don’t eat hard or sticky foods – foods like hard candies, ice, caramel, non -veg bones, etc. that are hard or stick to the implants are harmful as they can dislodge the crown and attract bacteria, and pressure for chewing too hard food can cause it to break.
- Be Stress-free– overall wellbeing and systemic health are important factors for maintaining oral health too. Activities like nail-biting, chewing on pencils tearing, etc. must be avoided too.
When to See a Dentist:-
Proper maintenance of your dental implant does not end with good oral hygiene habits. While following the maintenance routine, you must visit the dentist regularly to keep the implants healthy and maintain the natural teeth in good condition. You should see a dentist at least twice every year for:-
- Deep professional cleaning and polishing.
- For the dentist to detect any changes or issues at the implant site at their early stages.
- To check for any tenderness, looseness, and alignment of teeth.
- Bite adjustments and management of teeth grinding to ensure the implants do not bear heavy biting forces.
See a dentist immediately if:
- You have pain and inflammation at the implant site.
- Any parts are damaged or missing.
- Attachment of over dentures is loose or there is trouble in putting them.
Dental Implant Clinic in Gurgaon:-
Since Dental Implantation is a complex and multiple steps procedure, it has to be painless and with minimum complications which require well-qualified, expert, and experienced dentists to restore your beautiful healthy and natural smile. Getting the right treatment at the right place is most crucial. The good news is, your search is over, as all the above aspects of maintaining your dental health are very well taken care of at Smilexpertz – dental implant clinic in Gurgaon. It has a specialized panel of Implantologists, Prosthodontics, and dental hygienists for a complete assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and maintenance in a methodical and structured manner tailor-made according to patient needs.
Smilexpertz Dental Clinic is equipped with highly advanced dental equipment with the latest technology and provides high-quality, pain-free dental services. It is specialized in providing a wide range of dental services including
- Dental Implants
- Cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening, smile designing, Laminates, and veneers.
- Full-mouth Rehabilitation
- Root Canal treatment and dental fillings
- Tooth Jewels
- Scaling and polishing.
The sterilization practices followed here are according to the globally accepted standards. At Smilexpertz, you will be assured of the best treatment plans from board-certified dentists at cost-effective prices.