In today’s time several people struggle with lack of self-confidence because of a crooked or missing tooth. However, with the growing advancements in the field of dentistry, people can have their missing teeth replaced with dental implants for restoring their aesthetic smiles.
If you have been planning about getting dental implants and having a hard time deciphering what the process entails, we have listed out all the details below.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- What are Dental Implants?
- Types of Dental Implants Restoration
- Procedure of Dental Implant Restoration
- Recovery After Dental Implants
- Possible Side Effects of Dental Implants
- Dental Implant Failures
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial dental fixtures, which are embedded into the jaw bone to then affix a custom-made crown in place of a missing tooth. These are the closest to mimicking the actual appearance of teeth and provides a much more comfortable fit in your oral cavity.
Given how effective the dental implants are, they are the most common choice for the prosthetic replacement of any number of missing teeth in your oral cavity. It mimics the root of the tooth and later fuses into the jawbone, ensuring a comfortable and snug fit.
Types of Dental Implants
Generally, there are two main types of dental implants that are used in dentistry.
Endosteal Implants – This type of dental implant is directly placed into the jawbone of the patient after which the custom-made crown is placed via an abutment.
Subperiosteal Implants – This type of implant is affixed under the gum of the patient instead of the jawbone. It is primarily done in patients with a weaker jawbone or reduced space on the jawbone for the implant.
Types of Dental Implants Restoration
When you consult the best dentist in Gurgaon, they will suggest a specific type of dental implant restoration depending on the condition of your oral health. There are several types of restorative procedures, all depending on the number of missing teeth or the severity of the condition.
Some of the standard types of dental restoration processes include:
All on 4 (starts from INR 1,50,000 per jaw) – Just like the name suggests, this dental implant restoration process involves insertion of four dental implants into the jawbone of the patient to support all the crowns in the oral cavity.
All on 6 (starts from INR 2,50,000 per jaw) – This procedure includes full mouth restoration by affixing six dental implants into the jawbone or under the gums of the patient.
Immediate load implants (starts from INR 45,000 per implant) – If you undergo a dental implant surgery, immediately or within 48 hours after tooth extraction, it is known as the immediate load implant. It is quite a cost-effective procedure and an efficient procedure.
One visit implants (starts from INR 30,000 per implant) – These are immediate dental implant restorations that are done the same day as the consultation with the dentist. It is a much quicker procedure and is perfect for patients who don’t want to wait out for the procedure.
Factors affecting the overall cost
Some of the common factors that affect your overall dental implant cost include:
- Type of dental implant restoration
- Consultation charges of the dentist and the clinic
- Number of implants required
- Dental Implant Brand used by the surgeon (Ossteum, 3M etc)
- Condition of jaw bone (if it needs bone grafting or augmentation)
- Dental Crown material (zirconia, PFM, only-metal)
Procedure of Dental Implant Restoration
The procedure for the restoration generally starts with a consultation with a dentist. You need to book an appointment at the best dental clinic in Gurgaon for better results. To make you understand the procedure better, let us break it down into three segments.
Before the Restoration
- Once you book an appointment at a dental clinic, the dentist will first check the site of the missing tooth/teeth to get a visual understanding of the area
- The dentist will also ask getting some tests and imaging done to get an accurate understanding of the damage caused around the area of the missing tooth
- Since the implants are generally fixed into the jawbone, the dentist will also assess your jawbone health and strength
- After getting all the reports and other factors thoroughly evaluated, the dentist will either give you a date for the surgery or get it done within a few hours after the consultation
During the Restoration
- The procedure initiates with tooth extraction or cleaning of the site of the implant
- Next, an alveolar bone graft or onlay bone graft is fitted around the jawbone for added strength and stability, if needed while fitting the dental implant into the jawbone
- Once the initial preparation is done, the implant post is placed into the jawbone along with an abutment, which then helps fit the crown onto the implant
- The implant then heals over the next 2-6 months and fuses into the jawbone
Once the restoration is done, it is necessary for the patient to follow-up after the procedure. This helps the patient keep up with the progress and even get answers to any complications they might be facing.
Recovery After Dental Implants
The most crucial part of dental implant restoration is the recovery. Aside from the regular follow-up consultation, there are a few important prospects that the patient needs to keep an eye out for.
Some of them include:
Dentist instruction – Following the restoration, the dentist will guide you with basic oral hygiene tips including brushing, flossing, and timely intake of the medication. It is highly crucial to follow those instructions sincerely.
Recovery timeline – After the implant restoration procedure, the patient can seamlessly return to their normal life within a week. As for the implants, they tend to take between 2-6 months to heal and completely fuse into the jawbone. Some patients might have to consume a liquid diet up to 6 weeks after the treatment.
Possible Side Effects of Dental Implants
Dental implant restoration is a surgical procedure (minimally invasive or not). So, it comes with a few temporary complications. Some of which include:
- Allergic reactions
- Fracture of the dental implant
- Swelling in the gums
- Pain and discomfort
Dental Implant Failures
Some of the common signs of dental implant failures include:
- Difficulty while chewing food
- Constant gum recession
- Inflammation around the gum
- Loosely fitted dental implant
- Constant pain and discomfort
Conditions that can contribute to dental implants failure:
- Unprecedented spikes in blood glucose levels
- Weakened bones due to osteoporosis
- Auto-immune disorders
- Chronic habit of smoking
Dental implants are a permanent solution for missing teeth and help you regain your lost confidence. Not only does it help you restore the functions of a lost tooth, but is also minimally invasive and causes a lot fewer complications. Just ensure that you get the procedure done by the best dentist in Gurgaon for better results.
At Smilexpertz, you are assured with the best treatment plans from board-certified dentists at cost-effective prices.
1^ What are Dental Implants? AAID | January 13, 2021
2^ Types of Dental Implants Restoration NCBI | January 13, 2021
3^ Procedure of Dental Implant Restoration Medicine Net | January 13, 2021
4^ Recovery After Dental Implants Hiossen | January 13, 2021